Congregation Shir Ami provides many opportunities for members of all ages to participate in Tikkun Olam, a concept based on early Rabbinic literature and themes central to Judaism.
In modern day Reform Judaism, Tikkun Olam has come to be associated with tzedakah (charitable giving), gemilut hasadim (acts of kindness), performing mitzvot (good deeds, commandments, or religious obligations), engaging in social action/social justice programs, and helping to heal or ‘repair the world’.
By reaching out to those in need, we not only help to ‘heal the world’, but also strengthen our own Jewish identity and values.
Congregation Shir Ami Tikkun Olam Events/Activities and Mitzvah Projects Have Included:
- High Holy Day Food Drive – Shir Ami members donate food/canned goods and personal care items to local food banks.
- Blessing of the Animals – Shir Ami raises money and collects items to donate to local animal rescue/care organizations.
- Pajamas & Book Drive – Shir Ami partners with Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Church to collect and donate new pairs of pajamas and books for children in need.
- Pride Interfaith Celebration and Austin Pride March – Shir Ami participates in Pride/Interfaith events to support and celebrate equal rights for all.
- Mitzvah Projects – our B’nei Mitzvah students read to and walk shelter animals, organize food drives and donate collected items to local food pantries, and more.
- Relay for Life – Shir Ami members raise money and walk in the Relay for Life to help support in the fight against cancer.
- Religious School Students Purimspiel food drive – our students collect boxes of macaroni & cheese and donate them to a local food bank.