Congregation Shir Ami provides many opportunities for members of all ages to participate in Tikkun Olam, a concept based on early Rabbinic literature and themes central to Judaism.
In modern day Reform Judaism, Tikkun Olam has come to be associated with tzedakah (charitable giving), gemilut hasadim (acts of kindness), performing mitzvot (good deeds, commandments, or religious obligations), engaging in social action/social justice programs, and helping to heal or 'repair the world'.
By reaching out to those in need, we not only help to 'heal the world', but also strengthen our own Jewish identity and values.
2016 Congregation Shir Ami Tikkun Olam Events/Activities and Mitzvah Projects Included:
- Pajamas & Book Drive (and pajama party for kids!) - Shir Ami partnered with Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Church to collect and donated new pairs of pajamas and books for children in need (December 2016)
- Mitzvah Project - one of our Bar Mitzvah students organized a food drive and donated collected items to the Hill Country Community Ministries Food Pantry in Leander in time for Thanksgiving (November 2016)
- Relay for Life - Shir Ami members raised money and walked in the Relay for Life to help in the fight against cancer (October 2016)
- High Holy Day Food Drive - Shir Ami members donated canned goods and other food items to a local food bank (October 2016)
- Pride Interfaith Celebration and Austin Pride March - Shir Ami participated to support and celebrate equal rights for all (August 2016)
- Blessing of the Animals - Shir Ami raised money and collected items to donate to local animal rescue/care organizations (May 2016)
- Religious School Students Purimspiel food drive - our students collected boxes of macaroni & cheese and donated them to a local food bank (April 2016)